Brrrr, it sure it gettin’ cold in lil’ ol’ Boston!
I try my hardest not to complain about the cold. Sure, it makes my skin dry and itchy, I’m perpetually shivering, and I spend my free time buried under mountains of blankets… but it has its upsides too!
I love the feeling of coming in from the freezing cold and hopping into a hot, steamy shower, or laying on the couch in front of our real, live working fireplace, or standing in the kitchen as something toasty and warm cooks on the stove. Winter isn’t so bad sometimes!
One of my favorite winter pastimes is gobbling up hearty bowls of thick soup while they’re still hot enough to scald the top of my mouth. Feeling the heat seep down my throat just makes me all sorts of warm and mushy.
Growing up, we never ate soup unless it came from a can and could be prepared in the microwave. As a result, cooking soup has been a relatively new adventure for me.
There are so many varieties of soups out there that it can, at times, be overwhelming… this is usually compounded by the fact that these days I’m usually cooking for one since le boyfriend is a night shift workin’ machine. Who’s ever heard of cooking a pot of soup for one? Not I! It’s pretty hard to portion soup down to less than a week’s worth of leftovers.
This soup, however, is one I wouldn’t mind eating all week. As you may know by now, I have a
small love affair with broccoli, second only to my love affair with potatoes and/or cheese. Needless to say, put the two together and I. am. in. heaven.
Le boyfriend made this soup once before for me and it was muy deliciouso, but since I was on my own this time, I decided to put my own Lauren spin on it… which means MORE broccoli and MUCHOS MORE cheese.
So creamy! So yummy in my tummy!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Adapted from The Little Girl’s Guide to Sugar and Spice)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (you want them to fit on a spoon)
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.
- Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken and once it’s thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste, serve with toast.